Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Please Stop Asking Me If I've Named the Baby...

It's none of your business. I barely know you. But most importantly, I don't need outside pressure from the likes of you. I know the baby needs a name. And it needs to be a perfect name for the baby. I've got 4 months to figure that out. And that is something that requires mindpower. I've got plenty of that. What I'm running out of is mobility, energy, and money. Have you asked me if I have a crib yet? Or a stroller, or if I've reorganized and decorated my son's room into  room for him and a baby? If I've figured out how to juggle the needs of a toddler with the needs of a baby in my belly? I mean more and more this little boy is asking to be picked up and carried. Well he just says he wants a "ride" but we both know what that means.  Do I have the energy and strength for that? Not really.

And isn't it customary not to reveal the baby's name until you've revealed the baby? Well, maybe that's changed, but to me, it's a private thing. My mom hasn't even asked me if I have a name for the baby, so why do random strangers make that the top 3 question on their list? (1: How far along are you? 2: Is it a boy or a girl? 3: Did you pick out a name yet?)

Sheesh.  From now on, I will just have fun with it, and give people outlandish answers with a defiant, yet proud look on my face. Top 5 future baby name answers:
1:Paper Mache,
2:Corduroy (after my dog who recently passed),
3: WaterMelonia (a feminine twist on the fruit that I eat so much of during my pregnancy),
4: Vision --because I have it and so will the baby, and
5: Textile because it sounds so neat.

My close friends and family will know the baby's name....and then maybe I'll tell you! Meanwhile I still have to unpack from our move, need to redecorate the "nursery/little boy's room" and I need a nap.

Did any other mothers out there come up with crazy answers to give to strangers? Let's hope you never bump into them again!

Mama Nike!

No comments: