Thursday, August 16, 2012

Freelance + Baby Bump = You're Not Hired!

I am 6 months pregnant. I work as a freelance television producer/director during a very brutal time in our industry. Tons of people looking for work. Some super qualified. Others not so much, but they know people. I started my career on the east coast and am now on the West Coast. That means my "network" is not so vast as it would be if I started as a PA here in LA and worked my way up.  On top of that--the game has changed.  You used to be able to work for a network steadily in production and move from show to show. You used to take a show from concept, through filming into post production and see it on the air.

Not any more. Everyone I know who had steady jobs as TV producers has been laid off and out of steady work. Some have opted to (or been forced to) make major career changes--from directing and producing some of the most famous talent on the planet to opening their own clothing line, event planner business or doggy grooming company.  

Now there are 15 job titles when before the title "Producer" would suffice. I've done it all--from writing the scripts to directing in the field to overseeing the edits. These jobs are now--field producer, segment producer, writer, director, field director, story producer, post producer etc. etc. Sometimes people look at me suspiciously when I say--yeah I can do that. I DO do that!

The pool of producers out now include people who've never seen a show all the way through and don't know how it all works. Even some of the showrunners don't know the process.

Oh. And the hours. 10 hour days minimum. Especially now that with the economy and the fact that TV reality & entertainment producers have no protections, sometimes 18 hour days, for 8 to 48 weeks. Weekends too. No overtime.

Ok, all that being said. I love my career and am managing to adjust to the new, "new."

But as I said. I'm pregnant. And while we all know it's not legal to not hire someone because they're pregnant, what are the chances that someone is going to hire a pregnant chick they don't know to produce a show? My bet is very slim. Especially considering that on one of the last major jobs I had, the Executive Producer became a different man once he discovered I was with child. (I discovered about a week before him and though I wasn't really showing, felt it was necessary to tell him.)

The great thing is the people that do know me, have still hired me, and I've still done a kick-ass job!

I just wanted to share my situation. As the question of "When  I go on maternity leave?" causes me panic attacks after I finish laughing ironically.

During my first pregnancy, I produced the Oscars (on the roof of the Ripley's building) at 5 months and produced the Miss America pageant at 7 months. But like I said, things have changed soooo much in 4 years. The industry is tight.


My husband works and thankfully provides us the stability of health insurance which I'd never have on my own in my industry. However, we are absolutely a 2-income family. So my not working provides extreme financial stress.

Thought I'd share my perspective--the unknown stresses of pregnant women! Any one else going through this type of situation?  Or do you feel attitudes change at work once you announce you're pregnant?

My master plan is to get a great gig in September for a few weeks so I can stop working in mid-October. Or even better, some sort of sitch--writing or consulting, that I can do from home. Cuz I really want a Glider this time!!! :-)

So keep your fingers crossed!!

~Mamanike aka
@blackpearlgurl



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Focus. Give your attention to that which serves you and more of what you want will come your way! Great article!