Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Seven Months and Counting!! Vegas Baby!

Little Baby Bean and I celebrated our 7th month in Las Vegas! I was working on the Miss USA pageant and we spent 3 weeks in the dry, dusty, loud din of inequity that is Las Vegas!

First let me just say that this little baby is a trooper! Bean has been on the roof of Ripleys in LA (for the Oscars) and now high above the Las Vegas skyline and ALL throughout the city!

I really thought that I'd be up for the schedule of this shoot. I didn't realize a few things. One--the first two weeks I'd be working EVERY SINGLE DAY. Two--that this was the time during my pregnancy that my belly would grow exponentially, my hunger would increase tenfold and my fatigue would intensify.

Let's just say I'm so proud to have made it through safely, healthily and with great memories.

I found that I mis-estimated my "wall", I thought my limits were further than they were, and by the time I realized I reached my limits--I was waaaay past them.
One day, we had to go with the contestants to Caesar's Palace, The Venetian, The Palazzo. And walk all the way through these gigantic hotels shooting in the heat. Well, by midday, I was famished and by the end of the day I could barely walk. I literally sat at our hotel restaurant trying to figure out how the HELL I was gonna get back to my room. After a quick, embarassing crying jag in front of my crew, a group of great guys who vowed to do the last shoot in the hotel spa without me, if i gave them a list of shots they had to get, I sat at the restaurant where they left me trying the get myself together.
Of course, I was a little panicked. I called my husband. I tried to be strong. I'll just go up now, I said. He said no, stay there as long as you need to rest. Is there anyone you can call, he asked?

So I called one of our PAs, who swooped in to save the day in like 5 minutes. He tracked down security, who brought over a wheelchair. And I did the roll of shame to my hotel room!
HA!
Well, I have to say this is the best production team I've worked with in LA. My supervising producer sent the nurse up to check on me (I hadn't told her but I guess the PA did :-). Then they rearranged the entire MISS USA production schedule so I could be off the next day and most of the day after that!
I slept ALL day!!!!! I could barely walk and part of the reason I realized was because my little body needed some belly support!

So before i started back in production another local PA VOLUNTEERED to take me to Babie's R Us--and I got a maternity belt.
OH
MY
GOODNESS!!!!
It changed my life. Back support, tummy support! I was back in business! Back to my old self!!!
Here's a pic!!!

OK--I don't want you to think my trip to Vegas was horrible. It was actually fun, once I figured out my limititations.

.

I did a shoot with famous photographer who was shooting the girls. The second day, they needed to test the background and I got to be a "model" along with some of my crew.

.

Here's a pic of me and my GREEN TEAM on the roof of the Rio Hotel with the Vegas skyline behind us.



And here's a pic of me backstage with my camera guy during the Presentation show, which is where the girls are judged and narrowed down to 15 before the live show airs.





There is a great shot of me and the new MISS USA--that I will post as soon as it's emailed to me!

I had a grand time. And the lessons I learned:
It's ok to not be a superwoman...Know your limits
People are kind.
Slow down on the hectic productions, no more intense field shoots or traveling shoots for a while!
My little one is strong!!!!

No comments: